Saturday, August 6, 2011

Best Chocolate Cupcakes and Pink Icing

Many of you know about the special chocolate cake with pink icing that he always got for his birthday when he was growing up. Well the frosting came in a powder mix called Betty Crocker's Fluffy Whit Frosting, that is no longer sold in stores. We have gone in with his sisters a couple of times to special order the mix. Then one day a miracle occurred, I found a recipe on a friend's blog for Fluffy White Frosting. So I gave it a try. I think it tastes exactly the same as the mix from the box. Hallelujah, we never have to order the mix again. I make it to go on top of these delicious chocolate cupcakes that I found on Mel's Kitchen Cafe blog.

Cupcakes
1 Box chocolate cake (Devil's food works best.)
1 Small ox chocolate or vanilla pudding
4 Eggs
1 C sour cream
1 C vegetable oil
1/2 C warm water
1 C chocolate chips
Mix all ingredients together and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Makes 24-30 cupcakes.

Fluffy White Frosting
1 C white sugar
1/3 C water
1/4 t Cream of tartar
2 Egg whites
1 t Vanilla extract

In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, water and cream of tartar. Cook over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is bubbly.
In a medium mixing bowl, whip the egg whites and vanilla to soft peaks . Gradually add the sugar mixture while whipping constantly until stiff peaks form, about 7-10 minutes.

It says it is for 12 cupcakes, so I doubled it for 24 cupcakes and it was way too much. Probably one batch would frost all 24.

I found that you need to keep it refrigerated because otherwise the frosting seems to separate and become very grainy.
My frosting never sets up very well. I think I didn't whip the egg whites for long enough and I didn't add the sugar gradually. I just don't have enough patience and I'm okay with runny frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment